The American Boer Goat Association is committed to providing tools to identify superior animals within the Boer goat breed.
ABGA Sanctioned Shows encourage breed improvement by identifying phenotypically superior animals that best conform to the breed standards. This method of physical evaluation and comparison is important and shows are a popular way to promote and select outstanding breeding animals. However, the show program is not a perfect science and every judge’s placement is a subjective evaluation on one day of the animals presented in the ring.
ABGA Performance Tests encourage breed improvement by identifying bucks proven to excel in weight gain in a controlled environment. This objective evaluation of a young buck is a strong indicator of his individual potential to improve the rate of weight gain in his offspring. In herds producing terminal market kids, identifying sires that are able to consistently produce faster growing kids results in shorter production cycles and increased profits.
ABGA is working with some of the top test centers in the country to reinvigorate and expand the performance testing program. To encourage breeder participation, changes have recently been made to the way Ennoblement points are awarded for animals competing in performance tests.
The ABGA Performance Testing program now:
- Awards Ennoblement points to top performing animals according to the following chart:
- Awards Ennoblement points to all eligible animals based on individual Average Daily Gain (ADG), as follows:
- Bucks gaining 0.55 lbs./day to less than 0.60 lbs./day shall be awarded 1 point.
- Bucks gaining 0.60 lbs./day to less than 0.65 lbs./day shall be awarded 2 points.
- Bucks gaining 0.65 lbs./day to less than 0.70 lbs./day shall be awarded 3 points.
- Bucks gaining 0.70 lbs./day to less than 0.75 lbs./day shall be awarded 4 points.
- Bucks gaining 0.75 lbs./day to less than 0.80 lbs./day shall be awarded 5 points.
- Bucks gaining 0.80 lbs./day or more shall be awarded 6 points, plus an additional 1 point for each additional 0.01 lbs./day over 0.80 lbs./day.
- Awards prize money for top performing animals on test, as follows:
- 1st Place: $400
- 2nd Place: $300
- 3rd Place: $200
- 4th Place: $100
- Provides $500 in monetary support to the testing agency to be allocated to awards.
|ABGA Performance Test Points|
|# ABGA Registered Bucks on Test||ADG Rank Among ABGA Registered Bucks on Test|
|1 to 3||1|
|4 to 5||2||1|
|6 to 7||3||2||1|
|8 to 9||4||3||2||1|
|11 to 25||10||5||4||3||2||1|
|26 to 50||15||10||5||4||3||2||1|
|51 to 100||20||15||10||5||4||3||2||1|
|101 to 175||25||20||15||10||5||4||3||2||1|
|176 or more||30||25||20||15||10||5||4||3||2||1|
Moving forward, ABGA will also be working with performance testing centers to incorporate additional data into the Performance Testing program, such as feed efficiency and carcass measurements.