The holiday season will soon be here and with the end of the year, the time comes to renew ABGA memberships. If you haven’t received a membership renewal letter, you will receive one in the near future. When you do receive it, please remember to write your County on the renewal form. There is space for you to put information about your goat operation if you would like to have it included with your other information when people visit the ABGA website and search for members online.
- We have a face-to-face Board of Directors meeting coming up the 5th and 6th of December in San Antonio, Texas. Remember to give items you want discussed to your director to put on the agenda.
- The American Goat Federation Annual Meeting is being held in Reno, Nevada. The business meeting is on January 27th and there will be a day of seminars on January 28th. As members of ABGA, you can arrange to attend the seminars at no charge. Information is at www.AmericanGoatFederation.org.
- Remember to arrange to DNA test bucks you breed with beginning January 1, 2015 if you’re going to register kids out of them.
- The number of ring stewards for the 2015 ABGA National Show has been increased to four. If you would like to help in this capacity, fill out the application that is included in the November/December issue of The Boer Goat magazine.
- ABGA representatives attended major events this fall. Robyn Scherer manned the ABGA booth at the National Goat Expo in September and handed out information about ABGA. Sam and Mary Lou Abney manned both the ABGA and AGF booths Sunbelt Ag Expo in Georgia. They handed out many pounds of goat jerky and goat milk soap, in addition to talking to hundreds of people. Cindy Dusek and Robyn Scherer, along with some of the JABGA members, talked to youth from all over the country at the ABGA booth at the National FFA Convention in Louisville Kentucky, and signed up some new JABGA members.
- And last, but not least, I want to personally thank the members who have volunteered to serve on committees. They are: Jason Brashear, Kathy Carr, Mike & Kim Cothran, Lee Dana, Susan Darrow, Ron Dilley, Jeff Gibbs, Cynthia Grafe, Donna Jean Heinrich, Holly Heyer, Kristen Hoffman, Chip Kemp, Sherman Mauck, Carl McCosker, Janet Moraczewski, Dr. Mary Newman, Sheryl Pearcy, Dawn Steward, Terry Taylor, Nan Walker, Deric Wetherall, Cathy Van Wyhe, and Kallie York.
- It’s a busy time of the year for most of us goat producers. Many members already have kids on the ground, and others will have goats kidding in the next few weeks. I hope you can spend as much time as you want with your families during this holiday season and that the new year will be prosperous for you and yours.
Brad Mackey, President ABGA